Build 2014: Bitcoin + Azure + Traffic Light - Project Showcase - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Build 2014: Bitcoin + Azure + Traffic Light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

For Microsoft Build 2014, the Internet of Things team at Microsoft put together a very cool Netduino-powered traffic light.

Here's what it looks like on the inside:
build2014_trafficlight.jpg

The software powering this cool project is based on the awesome Bitcoin + Azure code written by our very own Matt Cavanagh (roguemat).

Microsoft's Steve Teixeira showcased the traffic light, controlling it manually via Bluetooth from a Windows Phone 8.1 device in the Build 2014 IoT Session

The Netduino Plus 2 inside the traffic light can also pull down Bitcoin data from Azure in real-time, displaying the value changes as they happen (green = value going up; yellow = value steady; red = value going down).

Here's a great blog post by Matt Cavanagh, explaining how to put together your own Netduino-powered Bitcoin Traffic Light:
http://blog.roguecod...other-buzzwords

And here's a quick video of the demo in action (with an RGB LED instead of the life-size traffic light):

This same code could be reused to indicate when a big software build completed, to indicate the current air quality in a building, to warn of little-time-remaining in a meeting, etc.

Thanks a bunch to Matt Cavanagh (roguemat), to the IoT team at Microsoft and to Philip Lo and his NETMF dev team at Microsoft for enabling, building and showcasing this IoT demo at Build!

Chris

#2 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Where did you guys get the traffic light hardware?

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Where did you guys get the traffic light hardware?

http://www.trafficli...com/LEDsigs.htm

I was really surprised how affordable LED traffic lights are. Also...from their reaction, the TSA agents apparently didn't expect someone to bring a traffic light onto a plane ;)

Chris

#4 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

How funny!!! Thanks for the info, I am buying one, it is going to look cool in my garage :)

#5 roguemat

roguemat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Also...from their reaction, the TSA agents apparently didn't expect someone to bring a traffic light onto a plane ;)

Wait, this isn't a normal occurance?! Shameful!

I make Windows Phone stuff for beer money and rent (in order of priority). I've got a blog and am on the Twitter machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.