Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Best practice for web interface?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

I have a project where I am going to use the netduino to control a bunch of LEDs. Animation information will be on the sd card. Also I will hook up a spectrum analyzer so they can move to music.

I picked up a Fonera router and put dd-wrt on it. I would like to control the project with my ipod touch through a web interface. I see two ways of doing this. First, use the simple webserver stuff for the netduino. Second, get php working on the router and use some type of socket connection to communicate with the netduino. The web interface will be simple. It will have buttons to change the LED colors and animations. But I also want to display some stats, like current color or animation.

So I am wondering what route your guys would take?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

If you're looking to do high-speed animation with lots of requests, go with sockets. Http also works great, but some HTTP libraries take up a lot of codespace. Chris

#3 Illishar

Illishar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

The HttpListener works fine on the Netduino. And it's easy to use. (It doesn't seem to be that big?) But http is not fast. If you want something with a lot of response and eye candy, I'd recommend using sockets on the Netduino and then create an applet of sorts to view on your ipod. I don't know what ipod supports, but the applet could be something like Java, Silverlight, HTML5, Flash, ActiveX etc.

#4 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

I explained some stuff in Wannafly's recent thread, but to not take away from his thread I will put my reply to Chris here.

I am tempted to get a decent powered Netbook for the little Windows programming things I do. I know VM is sluggish but not much choice right now unless I scrap the Windows install and allocate more hard drive space for it.

Here's some sneak peaks of the project for those interested. The first video is testing a single LED from bliptronics to see how bright it is. The second video is the original plan of using the tlc5947 chip. Also for those that didn't read WannaFly's thread this project started on the Arduino but I outgrew it with the features I've been wanting to add.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbd_wYGKnQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2mqnwSYwIg

This is a test of the webpage control through the iphone simulator. As I said in the other thread, I had it working on the YellowJacket Arduino with the YellowJacket hosting the webpage. But it took 15 seconds for the page to display.

I will probably put most of the logic on the router then and communicate with sockets. One thing that would be cool is disabling the wifi security so anyone with a smartphone at a rally could connect and change the bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.